A quality, decent harvest depends on a lot of factors, however, proper seed germination is the first and most important step to a future Harvest! To understand how to germinate marijuana seeds and grow potent plants, stick to the following guidelines.
Tips on how to germinate cannabis seeds
The three main components that affect the effective activation and germination of marijuana seeds are water, air, and heat. Thanks to the sufficient moisture in which the seed should be, the process of “soaking” takes place, promoting the development of the germ inside the seed and further breaking of the shell. The presence of sufficient oxygen ensures the process of photosynthesis and evaporation, which is essential for development. And of course the presence of heat, which is certainly important for the growth of any plant on the planet. To sprout cannabis seeds effectively and not to spoil, create all conditions and questions about “how to sprout marijuana seeds without losses” you will not have!
How cannabis seeds germinate
Germination of cannabis seeds takes place fairly quickly under good conditions. It is the taproot that develops first. It is the one that breaks through and breaks through the seed’s shell during its development. After that, within a few days, the seedling begins to strengthen and the first two embryonic leaves, the cotyledons, appear. On these leaves, quite often, for a long time, the shell of the seed may remain. Do not be in a hurry to remove it by hand. The buds are very fragile and any, even the slightest, damage can drastically reduce the power and growth rate of the future cannabis plant.
As soon as the seeds release a stub, planting germinated marijuana seeds is imperative as soon as possible. Next, after the appearance of the seedling, it is important to provide the plant with the maximum amount of light. This factor starts the process of active photosynthesis in the plant, which guarantees a powerful growth of the future marijuana bush.
The secrets behind germinating cannabis seeds
- The ideal temperature. The most suitable temperature for the immature seeds is between 21 and 27 degrees Celsius or 69 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. It is best to germinate the seeds in daylight without using additional, artificial light sources.
- Seed varieties. Buying seeds from tried-and-true seed jars ensures that the germination time will not be wasted. Store-branded seeds are always guaranteed to yield potent plants (provided you grow them well, of course), which cannot be guaranteed if you buy low-quality cannabis seeds. Often “duds” have a pale white color and look very small. It is possible, however, that the color is a characteristic of the variety.
- Clearwater. If you are not sure that the water and the containers you use to germinate your seeds in is sterile, add a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide to 1 liter of soaking water. This will keep your seeds safe from mildew and further rotting, which is often the case with high humidity that allows the seeds to open.
- Suitable soil. If you are going to germinate the seeds directly in the soil, then take care of the right soil. Not only the germination process but also the further growth of the plant depends on the substrate. Plant the seed directly in the substrate in which you plan to grow the shrubs in the future. The soil should have a neutral ph level (between 5.8 and 6.2) and be fairly loose (you can mix it with vermiculite or perlite, for example).
- Storing cannabis seeds. Marijuana seeds should be stored in dry jars or bags. Humidity, mold, cold air, and draughts can all have a negative effect on the quality of the seeds and can lead to stunted growth or to the seeds not germinating at all.
The secret of how to germinate marijuana seeds is quality nourishment and reverent care. Because initially the seed of any plant contains a sufficient supply of useful elements for germination, the plant will be strong at this stage. Nevertheless, during the growth process, the content of nutrients decreases, and therefore the right growth conditions are extremely important to grow a healthy plant.
Germinating Cannabis Seeds in the Ground
Sowing cannabis seeds directly into the ground is a grueling option, as you won’t be able to see everything from the moment the plant sprouts to the moment it grows. When sprouting seed in the ground, you want to avoid the urge to dig it out and see what is going on. The seedling is very fragile and any clumsy touch can break or damage the seedling and its roots.
That said, if you are confident in the freshness and quality of the seeds, advanced growers recommend planting the seeds directly into the soil, because this is the natural method. To ensure that the germination of cannabis seeds in the ground goes well, place the seed in a pot with moistened soil. Put each seed in its own pot or dish so you do not tear the roots apart and harm them later on.
Choose soil for germination or young seedlings. The main thing is to have a neutral balance of nutrients and a ph level of 5.8 to 6.2. – This will help quick germination. It is important to remember that ordinary soil from a bed or vegetable garden may not be suitable because the nutrients may be too concentrated and this will kill the young seedlings.
Since planting hemp seeds in the soil is a natural method, you don’t want to bury them too deeply in the ground. Place the hemp seed about 3mm into the ground and lightly cover it with moist soil. The earth should be moist but not wet as it is possible for the seed to rot if the soil is too wet. To keep the soil moist you can cover it with a transparent cup or bottle and sometimes sprinkle it with a sprayer.
Next, place all the plants with seeds in a warm place and wait for young sprouts. If you follow the recommendations, you will notice the first signs of growth or even young shoots within a few days. Once the sprouts appear, remove the top bottle or cup, and place the pots under a lamp or sunlight.
How to germinate cannabis seeds in cotton pads or a towel
If you’re wondering how to properly germinate marijuana seeds without loss, this method is one of the best. By soaking the seeds in a towel, on a cotton pad, or gauze, you will surely be able to plant each seed. With this method, the seeds get enough moisture, air, and heat because you can easily watch them and control all the processes.
In this method of germination, it is very important to keep a balance of moisture. Because as soon as you let the seeds dry out, they will die instantly. Watch the seeds every day and spray as they dry out. To keep seeds from getting moldy during the germination process, it is recommended that you add a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide to the soaking water with a towel or absorbent cotton. This will kill germs and keep your seeds safe.
Once the cannabis grains have developed a tap root, very gently transfer them to further pots of soil. It’s important to be very gentle and not touch the root as it is very fragile. It is best to transfer the grains with tweezers or forceps. Make a small hole in the damp soil (3 mm will be enough) and drop the seed there. There is no need to bury it, you can just cover it with earth so that the resulting root doesn’t dry out. After that, within a few days will grow a sprout with the first leaves of the seedling. At this stage, provide the plants with as much heat and light as possible, so that they will begin to grow vigorously.
Germination of marijuana seeds in mineral wool and peat pellets
The device for germinating seeds in mineral wool provides the highest percentage of germination of plants. The device is a kind of grid with mineral wool blocks, which are placed in a special tray. Holes for the seeds are already made in the mineral wool in advance, which is further covered with another layer of mineral wool to stop the flow of air.
Then water or special nutrient liquids for germination are poured into the trays, which actively supply the mineral wool with the right amount of moisture. To keep warm, the tray is covered and the liquids slowly nourish the seeds. Since some types of mineral wool devices are equipped with heating units, such a device essentially becomes a mini greenhouse.
Soaking hemp seeds
This method is used to germinate old, dried-out seeds that have been stored for a long time. It is quite dangerous because if you keep the seeds in water too long, they will simply rot.
It is necessary to place the hemp seeds in a clean container with purified water. Then the seed will actively absorb the water for 24 hours so that the hardened shell will become softer and the young root will find it easier to penetrate. But you should not keep the seeds in water for more than a day, since it leads to a lack of oxygen and death of the seed.
After 24 hours, place the seed in the soil and germinate it according to the “germinating marijuana seeds in soil” method mentioned above.
A few more nuances about germinating marijuana seeds and planting them in the ground
- The optimal temperature for sprouting cannabis is 24 to 28 degrees. Anything higher has a negative effect on the plants.
- With any planting of young sprouts (outdoor or indoor) the plants need a proper light regime – 6 hours at night and at least 18 hours during the day. Otherwise, the cannabis plants will flower too early, grow and reach a height of up to 3 meters.
- The best time to plant the seedlings outdoors is from the 10th of May. At this time comes the warmest spring days (in the region of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, etc.) with the necessary length of daylight hours.
- For planting seeds into the soil, it is not necessary to make huge holes. Too deep planting blocks the flow of oxygen and the plant can not develop.